The Woolmark Company, Parsons’ Making Center and Healthy Materials Lab embarks on a day of hands-on activities and discussion to explore the broad scope of wool’s applications – from clothing to furniture to interiors to bedding.
The day’s schedule will feature a morning presentation on wool science, followed by an afternoon of workshop activities and a panel discussion featuring leaders in the textile industry talking about wool’s ecological impact from farm to fashion.
The Day of Wool schedule will be as follows:
10:00am – 11:15 am: Naturally Inspiring Presentation by The Woolmark Company to discuss wool’s properties, benefits, and various applications 11:25am – 12:10pm: NYS Regional Textiles Presentation by Laura Sansone 12:15pm – 1:00pm: Lunch sponsored by The Woolmark Company 1:00pm – 3:00pm: Workshop activities
- Weaving with Meghan Sickler
- Wet felting with Maya Valladares
- Indigo dyeing with Laura Sansone
- Digital knit demo with Kate Phillips
3:00pm - 4:00pm: The Future of Wool Panel Discussion, moderated by Dr. Timo Rissanen, Assistant Professor of Fashion Design and Sustainability at Parsons School of Design, featuring:
- Regional Wool Grower: Glen Cauffman from Pure American Naturals.
- Regional Manufacturer: Jacob Long, CEO of American Woolen Company
- Designer: Marcia Patmos, M. Patmos Founder and International Woolmark Prize Winner, 2015
Attendance will cap at 80 people, so please register to secure your spot. You can also watch the panel discussion on Facebook Live from Healthy Materials Lab's Facebook page.